(2 hrs./ 0.2 CEU/CCU)
AOTA Classification Code(s): Category: OT Service Delivery
- CEUs/Contact Hours: 0.2 AOTA CEUs/2 Contact Hour
- Educational Level: Beginner
When children with mobility impairments are not given access to self-directed mobility at the same time as their age matched peers, delays may be seen in cognitive, perceptual, and social development. It is imperative that wheeled mobility options be introduced early and often for this population in order to prevent long term delays. Historically, healthcare professionals and/or family members have been hesitant to initiate powered mobility, particularly at very young ages.
This 2-hour interactive course will discuss power mobility options and the theory behind powered mobility for the early intervention population as well as older children. What is best practice in pediatric powered mobility? How do you balance function, development, and posture? How does one address the concerns of family and caregivers? What training techniques are utilized to aid in a successful outcome? Available literature and case examples will be utilized to address these and other common questions. Participants will leave this course with immediately applicable strategies to allow for successful implementation of pediatric powered mobility.
CEU Objectives: By the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe three aspects of development that are positively influenced by a child’s ability to participate in self-directed mobility
- Describe three postural considerations that are specific to the pediatric population and potential solutions
- Identify two common reservations parents/caregivers have when faced with power mobility device interventions and a potential strategy to address each reservation.
- Demonstrate three training strategies that can be utilized when initiating power mobility with the pediatric population.
- Identify two objective tests and measures that can be utilized to support justification for power mobility in the pediatric population
See our upcoming onsite education courses at the Permobil Academy.
Full Course Detail Flyer PDF: Pediatric Power