(1 hrs./ 0.1 CEU/CCU)
AOTA Classification Code(s): Category: OT Service Delivery
- CEUs/Contact Hours: 0.1 AOTA CEUs/1 Contact Hour
- Educational Level: Beginner
The materials and design of seating components, in conjunction with the mobility base set up, will directly impact a client’s skin and tissue health, posture and alignment as well as functional ability. Unfortunately, the design and material choices of seating products are often overlooked in the decision-making process. This one-hour live lecture session will focus on a basic science of materials approach in the selection of appropriate wheelchair seating products.
Discussions will revolve around the advantages and limitations of seating solutions based upon scientific principles, design factors and how the materials choices are applied clinically to address the clients’ needs. Specific attention will focus on how client movement throughout the day, changes in posture over time, and clinical and best practice guidelines can impact the seating and positioning component decision making process. By the end of the course, clinicians will have a better understanding of how to match strategies for pressure management and postural stability, client presentation and product performance characteristics.
CEU Objectives: By the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- State at least 2 types of forces applied to a body depending on the type of material and design of a cushion.
- Recognize clinical significance of applied forces to the body related to the design and materials used in construction of seating components.
- Articulate 3 types of changes in client condition/function and how to optimize outcomes through seating materials and design selection.
- Predict 3 aspects of how to apply clinical/best practice guidelines to achieve optimal pressure management and positioning outcomes with seating components.
*This course is presented via live stream lecture only.
See our upcoming onsite education courses at the Permobil Academy.
Full Course Detail Flyer PDF: Substance and Design of Seating Components Flyer